Thursday, February 19, 2009

New Eclipse. New Shaft Now Too?

Question: Hi Jonathan,

I bought a STX Eclipse head and it's currently being restrung. However, now I'm wondering whether what I should do (if anything) about my shaft.

Right now I have an AL6000 shaft. I'm debating whether I should upgrade. Now I just spend about $110 on the eclipse head/restringing, so I'd prefer not to pay another $100. Most of the composite sticks are pretty expensive and I'm not really sure if it's necessary. The guy at the store mentioned the Brine 6065 alloy shaft which is about $20ish. It's a men's shaft so it's shorter than the goalie one i already had. is shorter better? i've also heard about the women's goalie shaft, STX elevate which is about $70 - is that worth it?

Anyway, I'd really appreciate your own two cents on the right shaft for a female goalie.


Thanks again,
Julia

Answer: Julia sorry I've taken so long on this. It keeps escaping my brain.

Any shaft is going to be an improvement over that AL6000. I know you spent a bunch on the head already but the shaft is where you're going to save a ton in weight. I always recommend Titanium but you can probably get by with a really light alloy. Because you aren't going to get stick checked you can get by with a lighter but not as strong shaft. You will notice a huge difference in the weight of the stick and that should help you move to the ball better.

Shorter will be fine as long as you are not some amazon woman. Shorter will usually be easier to handle for cradling and passing so by using that mens shaft you should be ok.

Thanks for being patient Julia. Let me know which one you go with.

Jonathan -