Friday, February 27, 2009

Box Lacrosse Goalie Tips

Question: Jonathan

I stumbled on your blog today and hope to have some time to
explore it a
little more.

My son started playing goalie in Box Lacrosse last year (Novice
10-11 years
old). Never having played lacrosse other than a little in
High School (and
never goalie), I am at a loss to help him improve. He
seems to have taken
to it and is sucsessful at the basics (As much as I know
anyway). He
attended the Edge Elevate Lacrosse camp in Calgary last year and
had fun,
but petered out a little wearing all the gear in the field and
finished off
playing out (He was the only goalie in that age group anyway).
Hopefully, you may have some tips for us as you have offered up
many on your
blog and via email.
Good drills/excersises for hand eye speed and eye tracking?


Basic drills he can do by himself or with his brother (Tyke,
8 under)
Drills or strategys I can employ in our practices for better
goalie> > development. (I like the suggestion of assigning shot
types and locations
for drill duration to exercise particular saves. I do that
in my Hockey
practices all the time..Doh)
Any other thoughts that you have a few moments to provide.
Thanks in advance...

**** Hugh McKay

Answer: Hey there Hugh. Sorry it's taken so long to get back. I'm getting bombarded by emails being the start of the season in the States.

Most of the frustration with young goalies and all of the problems for goalie at this age stems from them being physically weak due to their age. We all would wish our ten year olds were like high schoolers. Especially in box, with so much equipment. It is easier for a player who plays out to learn the game relative to the goalie who is encumbered by those huge pads. All of the things that you are looking to improve will get better as your son gets older and physically matures. Tracking, eye drills, etc really boil down to focus which is really hard with that age group as you know. As with most things, "He'll grow out of it." And into better things.

As far as drills and ideas there are around 100 posts and articles on my blog. Although most pertain to field lacrosse they are applicable to box as well. (I'm waiting for someone to revolutionize box with a modified non-stick holding glove. I have some ideas too.)

Being a hockey goalie as well I feel the pads for a box goalie are rediculous. The biggest improvements your son will make will be directly related to his strength levels. Get him in love with the gym and training. I always say, "You can make a goalie out of any athlete. You can't turn a goalie into an athlete." Now with time, your young son can turn into an athlete if he is wired for that. Go check out www.ltad.ca for some great info on athlete development. The guy is in Vancouver.

As far as getting the son and the brother playing, just let them play. A shot is a shot no matter who it comes from. Just make sure, as always, that your son feels safe in the cage and is protected. Although they look cool I think the visibility in hockey goalie masks suck for a box goalie. I'm a fan of the Brine Triad style helmets and think they would be perfect for box. Great vision. Way better than the hockey masks.

Hope that helps. Shoot me a note when you're on your way to Calgary. Maybe I can come watch a practice if I'm in the area and not out coaching or speaking. Hopefully he gets some good goalie coaching there specific for box and isn't just target practice.

All the best.

Jonathan - The Goalie Guru