Saturday, April 4, 2009

Box Lacrosse Coach Wonders How Much Things Have Changed?

Question: Hi Jonathon, I came across your blog and wanted to ask your opinion on coaching box goalies as I've just begun coaching a novice house team. I played in goal for 10 years as a kid but that was 20 years ago - have the fundamentals changed that much? I feel confident that I can coach based on the way I played (angles, angles, angles) but was curious about the basic set up. I was always taught to have my glove hand against my kidney so that my arm formed a sideways "V" and my elbow and upper arm would stick out. This also prepared me for making a shoulder save on the glove hand side. I also made sure my stick was on the ground as part of my set up. Is that still practical?

Any advice will help.

Answer: I'm mostly a field goalie coach but I've been doing a lot of help with box coaches lately so I'll give my two cents strictly from a technique standpoint.

I would say that no, things haven't changed much. The equipment has obviously gotten lighter, and larger. The shots still come the same but now with more velocity and more ability for fakes.

The bottom line on position in the cage is the same. You want to have a nice balanced position on the balls of your feet so you can move. Some goalies now take the stick off the floor just a bit to aid with stance. But they need to respect the low shots that can sneak underneath.

As far as that off stick glove I've got some thoughts on that. You want to have that arm in the V so that you do take up some space. The glove is turned over to protect the exposed palm. I would not tuck it as far back as the kidney as that may be a bit to far to the back. You want it to be useful and not hidden. (I'm waiting for someone to design a glove that can be turned over to act more like a catching glove but flat so you can't catch. But would allow for you to then grab the stick. This would put that arm in a much more aggressive position to stop shots to that side yet still allow you to throw.)

All in all you're going to be 90% there when you coach. Stay positive and stay relevant. You've got a chance to watch some great goalies up there in Vancouver so watch some games and see what the top guys are doing. You'll be right back on board fast.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else. I spend a ton of time in Calgary and was just out in Whistler racing bobsled nationals. Actually tried out for the Canadian National Field team a couple of years ago at that soccer complex in Burnaby. Love that area.

Jonathan - The Goalie Guru.