Saturday, April 4, 2009

Girls Lacrosse Goalie Getting Thrown in the Fire. Needs Some Help

Question: Hi, I am a junior and the varsity goalie for my high school girl’s lacrosse team and I am having some problems. I was on junior varsity last year, my first time playing lacrosse ever. I didn’t really have anyone teaching me so I just winged it and had some beginners’ luck, now the original varsity goalie is ineligible so they bumped me up and it’s miserable. Everyone expects me to know everything because I’ve played for one season. I’m working hard to step up but I really need some help. My defense just lets the attack wing come running down on the field and take a shot right on the crease. We get up to three yellow cards a game so the other team gets to take repeated shots from the hash line and I am supposed to save them with only one season worth of experience. I’ve read most of your blog and that was tremendous help already, I just want a little more personal of a diagnosis. Thank you

Answer: Hey there Steph. Smile for me, k? Ok let's get this going.

First off, you're NOT supposed to know everything. You can't. I can't. We're always learning and you're being thrown in the fire a bit. Now I want you to step up a bit and get excited for the opportunity. Sure, it's probably a little early but you can handle it. You know how I can tell? You took the time to seek out some information and found me. Not only did you do that you wrote to me directly. So I know that you've got the ability to see this through and to kick ass.

OK, now. You need to remember that this is a team sport. And like I always say, "If your teammates were so damned good they wouldn't need a goalie!" The fact that you are seeing high percentage shots is your defenses fault. And to take it one step further it's your coaches fault for not helping you defense play better. Now I don't know your team. I don't know what you've got to work with as far as players on your defense. You may be on a really crappy team. But that's ok too.

Here's the deal. Your team needs to play better defense and funnel the offensive players to places where they have lower percentage shots. (i.e. further down the wing, or away from the cage.) This is the team part of the game and you can't forget that.

On the other hand you need to get excited about those high percentage shots. These are the ones where you get to really focus on the ball and make some big saves. If the game is moving a little too fast for you right now, don't worry, it will slow down. You just need some shots at the faster pace and you will step up. I know you can.

Spend some quality time visualizing yourself being successful in the cage. See yourself making those saves. The best time to do this is right before you go to bed because your subconcious mind goes to work while you're sleeping. It's a cool trick that I will try to write an article on later.

Also, here's another mental trick. Right after a goal goes in I want you to say to yourself, "Reset!" And then get back into your ready stance and actually visualize the ball coming to you as it just did. Move to the ball as if you were going to make that save. It's really important to replace the negative image in your head (the goal) with a positive image (you making the save.)

Try that kid. You're going to do great. Get to know your defense. And talk to your coach too to see if you can get a feel for why you guys are giving up such high percentage shots.

Last thing. Try to get someone to take stats for you so you can figure out your save percentage. That is the number you should be focusing on. If you lose a game 16-2 but your save percentage is 60% or higher that's a pretty good day for a goalie. Feel proud of that. NOT the score.

Alright Steph. Let me know how it goes. I expect an update in a few weeks.

Jonathan - The Goalie Guru