Thursday, March 19, 2009

Should I Take My Shin Guards Off?

Answer: Hey there Tori. Thanks for writing.

Are you wearing large shin guards? For, let's say, a hockey player? Or are you wearing soccer style shin guards? When you say they are hard to run in I'm guessing they are hockey style shins guards. Or maybe baseball catchers shin guards?

The way I break it down is this: If, by not wearing them, you feel like you will get hurt you should wear them. By hurt I don't mean injured and can't walk. I mean, Oh-my-lord-that-really-hurts-and-that-might-even-leave-a-really-big-bruise-there-that-won't-go-away-for-a-month sort of thing. Basically, if your brain sends a signal that the shot is going to hurt instead of one that focuses on saving the ball you want to wear them.

Even when I play today, getting hit with the ball is not fun. It hurts. And bruises are bad. Something to consider is that boys don't wear them because they want to look cool. That's it. And most of them, if they are new, are stupid not to wear them for some period of time. Also, you have to consider the level of player that you are playing against. If you are getting hit with the ball and not moving to it then the shooters aren't that good and you're eventually going to get hurt with a shot or two. If you are moving to the ball and your leg is getting to the ball but not your stick, that is a little better. It tells me you are aggressive enough and not fearful of moving to the ball and getting yourself in the way. Finally, if you are moving well enough but maybe missing a couple with the stick you are really close to breaking through to the next level and stopping a bunch of balls and not getting hurt that often.

When I was starting out I put my shin guards under a pair of light sweatpants. No one saw them. And no one asked if I wore them. It kept me from feeling weird if I had them on. But for a while they helped me be a better goalie and I'm thinking that's the category you fall in. They make you feel safe, but your noticing others who aren't wearing them and are maybe feeling that "tug" to take them off.

Many men's goalies will wear a shin guard of some sort on their off-stick leg. I'm a righty goalie so the furthest point to have to move my stick to make a save is to my left leg. Many times my left leg gets there but not my stick and I tend to get a bruise on the inside of my left calf. When I played a lot I would put on the pad after I got nailed there a few times. Now I just leave it on most of the time. It's preventative.

I know they are hard to run in but how much do you really run in a game? Not much. Here's a suggestion. Wear them in your warm ups. Try and take them off for games.

But...if we were sitting across from each other here is what I'd tell you. I'd say, "Tori, your brand new and your doing a great job. I really see you progressing and you obviously love the game. Now I want you to continue to love the game and I would hate to see you get hit with a ball that really hurts and then that sticks in the back of your head for a while every time a shot comes. Leave on the shin guards for now. I want you to feel safe and secure in the cage. We've got plenty of time for you to shed equipment. If you are feeling self-concious throw on some sweats. Take them off when we do line drills and sprints and put them on when you are in the cage." How's that.

Good luck Tori. Let me know how things go and keep me posted on what you decide. You're going to do great.

Jonathan - The Goalie Guru

-