Saturday, March 7, 2009

Advice For a First Year Lacrosse Club?

Question: Hey John
I am a goalie for California University of PA. This is our first year as a club team and have our first Tournament (and game) against WVU this weekend. We do not have a coach and well over half the team has ever even played lacrosse before. So i will be busy! I am also the Captain, and soon the President next semester just as a sophomore... Any suggestions on how to get this Club in a very small town really hit the ground running?
Thanks
Eddy

Answer: Hey there Eddie. Congrats. You do have your work cut out for you that's for sure.

My best advice is to keep it fun. It won't be long till you've got a ton of people coming out of the woodwork to play. There are a lot of people out there who have played at some point in their lives. Some still play. Some really want to play. Some haven't played in ages. So start with your club at school, but I would suggest doing something in addition where other people can join you.

I used to drive three hours from just south of Boston to some random farm in the middle of Somers, Connecticut for Sunday club games. Every Sunday, 1pm. Guys would pack up their wives and kids and camp overnight. It was a blast. We'd play the game and then barbecue. I think if you can do something like that you will have a ton of people, in addition to your teammates to play with, and to learn from.

Get a website up. Go to Aweber.com and set up an newsletter list to spread the word. Pretty soon you'll have a bustling club with a ton of fans.

Check out the US Lacrosse website for clubs and leagues that are near you. There might be some you're not aware of.

Have a blast! Bring beer.

Let me know how it goes. What is the exact name of your school and club? Send me your contact info and I'll put it on my blogs so people can find you. And if you print up some t-shirts be sure to send me one! I'm a Large. :)

Jonathan - The Goalie Guru