Thursday, January 1, 2009

What Muscles Should You Work On If You're A Lacrosse Goalie? How Do You Stay Awake When The Ball Is On The Other End Of The Field?

Question: Hi! I've been a lacrosse goalie for 3 years now (I'm in 10th grade)
The season is going to be starting in a few months and I was
wondering what muscles I should work on building. I'm always fooling
around with my stick in front of the TV and such so I'm not worried
about that. Also, what do you suggest goalies do when the ball is on
attack? I find myself zoning off which really throws off my game.
Thanks!!


Answer: To answer your question the muscles you want to work on are what we call your Posterior Chain. Those are your glutes (butt muscles), hamstrings (back of the leg), and your low back. You will also want to work on your upper body pressing muscles (chest and shoulders) The best way to hit the posterior chain is to squat. And when you squat you want to use a free bar not any sort of machine. For the pressing movements the best way I find to work those for a goalie is to do standing cable presses of all varieties.

If you don't know how to squat properly I would find a qualified strength and conditioning coach either at your school or at a nearby university. In most areas now there will be some sort of strength and conditioning coach geared towards athletes (Especially Football) if you can find one of those guys you'll be in a great place to start.

If you can fall in love with training you will be miles ahead of most women your age. I train a number of female athletes in a couple of sports and when we get them stronger by using squats and other posterior chain moves they absolutely dominate on the field.

As far as zoning out on the other end of the field, this is an acquired skill just like anything else. When I was your age I would start thinking about homework, my parents, the girl in my english class. All sorts of things would sneak into my head while the ball was on the other end of the field. What I did to try and fix that was hard at first but easier over time. All I tried to do was to watch the ball the whole time the ball was on the other end. Not watch the whole play, just the ball. I would try and focus my eyes on the ball just like a camera would zoom in on a far away object. That helped a bit. What really helped me focus was to think of myself, and my defense as a vital part of the offense if they lost track of the ball. I figured that if I was zoning out the other teams players probably were doing that as well. So I started to talk to my defense and keeping them awake as well. I'd say things like " Ball is right side Chris (My defender) Stay awake. Play in front of your man." Things like that. I also moved out of my crease a fair bit to help if there was a pass that went astray and I could help on the clear.

If you are comfortable with your stick you can really view yourself as an extra player on the clear it will keep you more involved in the play because you really feel you can help out. Keep that in mind and it will totally help with your concentration.

Oh I almost forgot. I find that hand and forearm strength are tragically weak in most women. Go get a two liter bottle of soda and tie a string around the top of the bottle. Tie the other end to a shaft of an old stick or a broom handle. Work on wrapping the string around the handle using both hands. You stand up. Bottle is on the floor. Stick is horizontal to the floor. Twist the shaft and wrap the string around the shaft lifting the bottle off the floor all the way up to the shaft. Lower. You'll feel a pump in your forearms like never before.

Good luck Olivia. Kick butt. Tell me how things go and stay in touch. What school do you play for?

Jonathan -